YouTube failure - 16 August 2026
I attempted to start the YouTube stream in the usual way this morning. After I started OBS streaming and pressed 'Go live' on the YouTube page, the message 'Going live' appeared with a rotating broken circle - which is the normal behaviour.
However, that state usually lasts for around 20 seconds and the live stream then starts. This morning, the 'going live' state persisted for several minutes. Phil and I tried various things, including stopping and restarting OBS, but nothing seemed to help.
I was aware that the key which identifies the specific recording is valid only once, so I was reluctant to stop or restart the YouTube web page before we had eliminated any local issue. However, eventually I pressed the back arrow to go back to the preceding YouTube web page, and then the forward arrow to get back to the 'in progress' page, and observed that the 'Go live' button was not greyed out (as it had been), and pressing that started the stream after the usual 20 secs or so.
So what went wrong?
When the YouTube 'go live' button is clicked I surmise that our web browser sends the session key to the YouTube server, which then marks the session as in use. They will then go on to exchange parameters of the video and the comms, the server will buffer enough data to overcome comms jitter, and the video will go live to viewers.
I am fairly sure that almost none of that happened, because if it had, when I restarted the process the server would have refused it on the grounds that the key had already been used.
What ought to have happened then - ideally - is that the webpage should have timed out and at least displayed a meaningful message, but web protocols were not designed with YouTube in mind and I can well believe that such a fallback isn't implemented. We are after all paying zero for what must be quite an expensive service.
So the learning point is, if the 'going live' message persists for more than a couple of minutes, try refreshing the page (F5), or do what I did: go back to the preceding page and start again.
No comments:
Post a Comment